Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:45:53 +0000
From:      Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk>
To:        jdc@koitsu.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

At  9AM +0000 on 24/01/13 you (Ben Morrow) wrote:
> Quoth 'Jeremy Chadwick' <jdc@koitsu.org>:
> >
> > Regarding your "svn-lite" theory of having that added to src/contrib/,
> > let me introduce you to Subversion's actual dependencies, and I'll
> > explain why these would have to remain enabled (for a "base system"
> > Subversion) as well:
<snip>
> > * APR (used for HTTP fetching (not necessarily HTTPS))
> >   -- License: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
> >   -- Not in the base system
> >
> > * Expat 2.x (XML parsing/generation library
> >   -- License: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License
> >   -- Not in the base system

Correction: expat is in base already, as libbsdxml (rather confusingly
built under lib/libexpat).

So AFAICS the only remaining piece is APR (and svn itself), and I
suspect that if only the bits required for a svn client were brought in
(assuming the licence is deemed acceptable) that would be a lot smaller
than a full APR build. (Again, this would need to be built as libbsdapr
to avoid conflicts with real APR from ports.)

Ben