Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:15:58 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 1:55 AM, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st> wrote:

> On 2/8/2016 10:30 AM, Mathias Picker wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 08.02.2016, 08:35 +0100 schrieb John Marino:
> > While I like the ideas of synth, and hoped I could use it to just build
> > my 3-8 ports with modified options, on first look I found many things
> > suggesting that it's not yet ready:
> >
> > - shows uninteresting eye candy instead of build
>
> Every single port has it's own build log with far more detail that a
> source build provides (similar to poudriere)
>
> > - stops at every conf file version mismatch requiring me to start make
> > config by hand, and then to re-run when it discovers the next mismatch.
> > I mean, WTF?
>
> This is incorrect.  It lists *ALL* the configuration mismatches at once.
>  This is actually a huge "pro" for synth; no other tool detects this
> mismatches.  It is far worse to have cached options that do not match
> the current port.  The port can be misbuilt and it's a major pain to
> troubleshoot.  All build tools should be doing this.  Are you really
> proposing that a tool build a port with a bad configuration file?  You
> should be thanking Synth for alerting to a problem you obviously didn't
> know you had.
>
> Also, once you fix it, then configuration problems are rare, they occur
> when the port changes.

OK. I have been playing with synth and I must say that I find it
impressive. Not that I am ready to put it into  "production", but
impressive, none the less. Maybe after a bit more testing and updating all
ports after moving from 10 to 11 (which will not be too soon). Still, it is
way better than poudriere for my limited purposes. I will certainly use it
for that, even if I still use portmaster for my "development" system.

The stale configuration file issue has me a bit confused. The man page does
not make it clear just what makes a config "stale". All of my ports are up
to date as of 11:00 UTC this morning. As far as I know, all of the configs
are "current", although the actual config run may have been for a much
older version. "synth status shows 46 cases. I looked at one
(sysutils/tmux) and the options listed by "make showconfig" are no
different from those in the current Makefile, so I don't understand why
they are stale.

I also have found at least one thing portmster can do that synth can't, but
I expect pkg can, so I won't complain about it until I have tried using pkg
to list all top-level ports (nothing depends on them) to use to re-install
all ports. I could list all ports, it's just that this is a much longer
list and portmaster did the job nicely with a simple example in the man
page.

And, please, everyone, let's stop with the silly statements like "the
Handbook should be limited to the base system" or "a maintainer needs to be
able to fix all PRs". At least one is a trivial annoyance in the display
only that is amazingly hard to fix. I asked Doug about it quite a while ago
and he said that he's keep beating on it, but a proper fix would
substantially complicate the script and be rather fragile, as well. I
assume that he is no longer beating on it.