Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:16:22 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm errors - wrong return address first time - sorry!

The easiest way to get xdm working is to pick a Window Manager (the
program that provides a user interface in X; there's a large variety of
them, each providing a different look-and-feel) using
/stand/sysinstall.  I will assume that you've already done this.  Once
you have, there will be 'skeleton' files /usr/share/skel/dot.xsession
and /usr/share/skel/dot.xinitrc that you can copy to your home directory
as .xsession and .xinitrc, respectively.  .xinitrc is used by startx
(used to manually start X after logging in), and .xsession is used by
xdm (which provides a graphical login).  Both of these files are scripts
that are run which start applications that you want, and, more
importantly, the window manager that you want to use.  I personally use
KDE.  It seems easy to use and is relatively stable.  My .xsession file
has one line:

exec startkde

which runs the /usr/local/bin/startkde script which in turn starts up
all the parts of the KDE window manager.

Chances are, you are missing an .xsession file in your home directory.
I'm guessing that you type in your usename, no password and the system
bumps you back to the login screen after flashing a blank screen
briefly.  If this is not the case, please give more information.

David Banning wrote:

> I can't seem to get X working or xdm.
> X fires up to a graphics screen with no way to control -
> no screens or programs to click on.
> xdm gives me login which will not allow me to pass ( i have know
> password yet it promps me for one)
> I know theres something simple wrong here ...

- Peter Schwenk
- schwenk@voicenet.com