Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:01:18 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        Scotty <saldane@canofsleep.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA problems

Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk> writes:
> Tags are disabled in -current in ata-disk.c so if the sources are
> up to date that cannot be the problem.
> Please update and then at least provide a dmesg if it still fails.

top-of-tree:

root@des /home/des# egrep '(ata|ad)[0-9]' /var/run/dmesg.boot
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 9641MB <IBM-DTTA-371010> [19590/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad1: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
acd0: CD-RW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8400B> at ata0-slave WDMA2

No tags, like you said.  Previously, with a tags-capable kernel,
enabling tags would cause a continuous stream of timeouts and resets
on both disks.

I saw your commit disabling tags on 2003-02-23, but I didn't see any
related discussion that would explain why they were disabled.

root@des /home/des# atacontrol cap 0 0
ATA channel 0, Master, device ad0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    4
device model          IBM-DTTA-371010
serial number         WN0WKFW1158
firmware revision     T77OA73A
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         19746720 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     yes      yes     31/1F
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             no       no
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    0/00
root@des /home/des# atacontrol cap 1 0
ATA channel 1, Master, device ad1:

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          IC35L040AVER07-0
serial number         SX0SXM75217
firmware revision     ER4OA44A
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         80418240 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     yes      yes     31/1F
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             no       no
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/FE  128/80

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org