Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:55:22 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Roberto Grassi <roberto@net-one.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Roberto Grassi wrote:

> I am a novice with FreeBSD. I just installed version 2.2.5.
> I want to upgrade to -stable version (2.2.7): I must CVSup to 2.2.6
> and then to 2.2.7 or I can upgrade from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7 (or 3.0) with
> directly?

You can CVSup directly to 2.2.7.  To CVSup to 2.2.7-RELEASE as opposed to
the latest SNAP of 2.2.7 you want a control file something like this:

*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix
# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
*default compress
src-all

To get the crypto sources use a second control file like so:

*default host=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix
# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
*default compress
## The international secure collections.
src-crypto
src-eBones
src-secure

Once you've got those files set up somewhere, just 'cvsup supfile' as
root.  I'd reccomend closely following the tutorial on 'making the world
your own'.

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

If you run ipfw, be particularly careful not to get yourself into a
position where your ipfw executable is from a different OS version than
your kernel as they are incompatible, and you will be unable to open any
holes in your firewall which can make it rather difficult to proceed.
Probably best to use IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT while you upgrade and
then recompile your kernel to remove it once things are working properly.

Andrew