Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:49:43 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Ali Nasseh <a_nasseh@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help me please,

On Sunday 13 January 2002 07:22 pm, Ali Nasseh wrote:
> hi,
> please help me to overcome the problem bellow:
>
> is there a straightforward way to download current
> release of the freebsd?
> does it work like windows applicatin? I mean that ,
> "is there a large file, for example
> freebsd.zip, that i can download and unzip it to my
> computer, and the run the installation program, like
> windows' setup program?( tell me about url addresses
> for freebsd and it's free apps download).

Well, "current" is an overloaded term for FreeBSD, but I assume you mean the
most recent version.  In that case the answer is 'yes, but . . .' FreeBSD is
a whole operating system, not an application, so it's quite large.  The
simplest way is to go to www.freebsd.org, and then following links:

Getting FreeBSD -> FTP sites -> (pick one near you) -> ISO images.

Get the image, burn it onto a CD using your CD-ROM burner and away you go.
(Boot from the CD to start the install.)

Note that, again, it's an O/S so you'll have to have room on your HD for it.

if you don't have a CD-R drive, you can download the floppy images and do a a
network install.

Either way you're going to be downloading hundreds of megabytes of stuff, so
you only want to do this if you have a broadband connection.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org