Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:44:14 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going small

The net 4801 arrived well wrapped and boxed but it was soon lidless.

I noticed a 32M flashcard fitted and read about the OpenBSD-3.4
OS installed thereon.  A nice touch to have a minimal working
BSD of some kind pre-installed.  The card is to be returned to
Wim when finished with.

The first power supply I tried (after checking correct polarity/
voltage etc.) failed because the inner sleeve was too wide for
the pin in the socket.

Made a better null serial lead, connected the soekris to a 4.9
box on the LAN, ran 'cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 19200' as root and powered on.

comBIOS ver. 1.24  20040312  Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Soekris Engineering.
net4801
0128 Mbyte Memory                        CPU Geode 266 Mhz
Pri Mas  TOSHIBA THNCF032MBA             LBA 496-4-32  31 Mbyte
PXE-M00: BootManage UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
etc.

Pressed ^p within the 5 second countdown for the BIOS prompt and had
a look at some settings.  Quickly forgetting where I was, I tried up
arrow for history and lost keyboard input (or echo).  "~." or reboot
got it going again.  Watched OpenBSD boot on the serial console until
cu disconnected as the OS took over the port.  But cu again connected
to a ksh shell in the <32M install.

It's cheating but I took the easier way and put the laptop drive in
the desktop, with one of those handy adaptor leads, for faster kernel
builds.  Installed 5.2.1 minimal and sys (kernel sources).  After a
few mistakes (one error was 'unknown option "SHED_4BSD"':)) and the
addition of the two options described at:
http://phk.freebsd.dk/soekris/kern48xx.html
the kernel built and installed.

It was odd leaving out vga, fdc and vt devices.

I was surprised to find no sign of the drive when fitted to the soekris.
'set FLASH=3DSecondary' soon fixed that.

If I'd remembered to change the ifconfig line to sis0 it would have
worked first time.  Setting the ttyd0 line in /etc/ttys to 'on' would
have helped too.

The kernel is about 3Mbyte smaller than generic:

chucky# ll /boot/kernel.old/kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5940286 Feb 23 20:45 /boot/kernel.old/kernel
chucky# ll /boot/kernel/kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2734753 Apr 19 19:42 /boot/kernel/kernel

The HD mounting bracket only leaves room for the lowest profile drives.
Anything fatter than 10mm and the case top cannot be fitted.  The board
is < 5.5" wide and a 2.5" HD is < 3" wide.  Room for two of each side
by side in a 19" 1U case.

John.

The kernel configuration file is below:

chucky# cat /sys/i386/conf/SOEKRIS
#------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
# FreeBSD 5.2.1 kernel configuration for my Soekris net4801 2004/04/19
#
# adapted from SOEKRIS_NET48xx,v 1.2 2003/09/07 14:07:05 edwin Exp (FBSD =
4.8)
#
# additions:
# options       CPU_GEODE       # Mandatory
# options       CPU_SOEKRIS     # Recommended (not used yet though)
#
#------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
machine         i386
cpu             I586_CPU
ident           SOEKRIS
maxusers        0

options         SCHED_4BSD      #4BSD scheduler
options         INET            #InterNETworking
#options         INET6          #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS             #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES     #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_DIRHASH     #Improve performance on big directories
options         UFS_ACL         #Support for access control lists
options         MD_ROOT         #MD is a potential root device
options         PROCFS          #Process filesystem (Requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS        #Pseudo filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43       #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4 #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SYSVSHM         #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG         #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM         #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING

options         CPU_GEODE       # Mandatory
options         CPU_SOEKRIS     # Recommended

device          isa
device          pci

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# ATA (IDE) disk - required for CompactFlash too
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio

# MII bus support is required for some PCI 10/100 ethernet NICs
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          sis             # NS DP83815 Fast Ethernet device driver=20
device          wlan            # 802.11 support
device          wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless=
 NICs.

# Soekris vpn1211
#device          hifn            # Hifn 7951, 7781, etc.

device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet
device          pty             # Pseudo-TTY
device          md              # Memory "disk"
device          tun             # Packet tunnel (required by PPP)
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and=
 da

# SCSI peripherals (required by USB)
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)

chucky# uname -a
=46reeBSD chucky.my.domain 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #2: Mon =
Apr 19 19:42:06 BST 2004     =
john@chucky.my.domain:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SOEKRIS  i386