Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:21:25 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        cs932304@red.ariel.cs.yorku.ca (DANIEL B REID)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INSTALL-BY-FLOPPY

> using dd if=<bla> of=<bla> I created the images. (on linux system)
> for the boot and root flp
>
> using an available NT server I downloaded bin.aa bin.ab ... etc
> on NFS sharing using Windows95 I created 12 disks a:\bin\bin.aa ...
> etc ..

OK so far...

> The boot.flp works fine ... I can do everything except the following:
> (I have downloaded and read your faq.)
>
> once I select floppies as my install medium neither root.flp nor simply
> starting with the first floppy with a bin directory works.
>
> with the root.flp I got the following error:
>
> error mounting floppy fd0 (/dev/fd0) on /dist

root.flp was killed off some time between 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 (thank
goodness!), so I don't see where it comes into the equation.  Are
you being asked for it by the install program?

(Unfortunately none of the users who helped us beta-test the install
program seem to use floppies, so this part hasn't been tested very
well).