Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 16:13:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 03-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> The trick is cute, but it was used to park heads in the drives I saw.
> Not for flushing on drive caches. There would not be enough power to
> do e.g. a seek in order flush the cache. And by definition your platter
> rpm is dead wrong, you essentially use the whole thing as a
> electromagnetic brake. Not nice.

I could swear the old Priam 14" had something like 0.5 sec before RPM will
degrad.  And I am pretty sure it could flush all 2K of cache (2 seeks and
two rotations worst case with 1k sectors), but I could be wrong.

Most modern drives use the motor as an electromagnetic break.  Try to snap
off the motor leads and you see the difference in spin-down time.  I have
:-)