Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:23:57 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        alex@schnarff.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using portsnap after sysinstall

--SFyWQ0h3ruR435lw

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:29:54PM -0400, alex@schnarff.com wrote:
> I'm a longtime OpenBSD user admin'ing my first FreeBSD box. During=20
> installation of the system (6.2-RELEASE), I saw the option to add the=20
> ports tree and did so, figuring it made sense to add at that point=20
> since I'd definitely be using it later. Unfortunatley, I've just now=20
> discovered -- after installing several ports from my sysinstall'd tree=20
> -- that this installed an old version of the ports free, from when this=
=20
> version of FreeBSD was released. This is a problem because I need newer=
=20
> versions of some of the ports than is currently available, and I'm not=20
> sure how to proceed.

I really wish sysinstall would install a copy of ports created by
portsnap and provide an option to install the associated working files.
As things stand, I never install the ports collection from sysinstall
because it takes forever and I just end up deleting it.

> What I'd really like to be able to do is used portsnap, which seems=20
> like a great tool, but preserve all of the information about my=20
> existing packages. I have no idea if I can just wipe out my old=20
> /usr/ports and run "portsnap extract" (I've already run "portsnap=20
> fetch"), or if doing so would break my ports DB, dependencies, or=20
> something else I'm not familiar with.

You can delete /usr/ports at any time without touching any installed
packages.  You may want to save /usr/ports/distfiles and if it exists
/usr/ports/packages before removing /usr/ports.

-- Brooks

--SFyWQ0h3ruR435lw

--SFyWQ0h3ruR435lw--