Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mergemaster theory (was: Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> > > What I think would be a better way of approaching it is to
> > > incorporate some method of informing users during the upgrade
> > > process, probably part of mergemaster, of what has changed in
> > > /etc/defaults.
> >
> > 	Assuming that you run mergemaster, you'll see the diff before
> > being presented the options to install, delete, etc.
>

> Yes, but the problem I usually have is twofold: I usually run
> mergemaster in single-user mode,

	You don't have to do that. Nothing you install in /etc (except
hosts.allow) affects a running system.... I usually mergemaster in X. :)

> and as such if I run into some kind of difficulty (not sure whether to
> install/merge/delete) and want to do something like take a detailed look
> at or backup a file first, I can't switch to another console to look
> at/change things.

	Well, the default option is to do nothing, which will leave the
file for you to look at later. It may cost you more rebooting, but at
least you can deal with it at your convenience.

> Some files are also bigger than the scrollback buffer so I can't see
> all the changes without "merging" them or dealing with them
> separately.

	Ummm... how old of a version of mergemaster are you running? The
diffs are sent to your favorite $PAGER ('more' by default), and you can
view a file after the merge, which is also sent to $PAGER. I think you
should read the man page again, and pay more attention to those little
menus I spend so much time formatting. :)

> (I have this personal problem with the 'merge' process
> using sdiff.. every time I try to use it I have some kind of
> keyboard/command/viewing problem and screw things up.  Maybe I just
> need more practice.)

	Well, you can create your own little tree with 'mergemaster
-D/my/fake/root' and practice away. :) No worries.

Good luck,

Doug
--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?