Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 20:19:37 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@tbv.se>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slightly offtopic - antispam file

"James A Wilde" writes:
> I'm having a problem with UCE from everybody_and_his_brother@earthlink.net
> which my ISP is unwilling to filter away.
>
> They use unix mail servers.  Is there some file I can put in my mail
> directory which will forward all mail from *@earthlink.net to /dev/null?
> I'm thinking of something similar to the .forward file, but which only
> forwards mail from a certain address.

My ISP has installed the Brightmail filter locally. It catches quite a
bit of spam. Lacking that aparently as a marketing ploy they will filter
an individual's email for free:

http://www.brightmail.com/individual/

Haven't tried the above but suspect they pop your mail from you ISP
while at the same time you are pop'ing from them. Meaning Brightmail has
to have the password to your ISP account. Further checking their FAQ
suggests they don't do APOP yet, so the password traverses the net in
the clear.

One nice feature of Brightmail is they don't discard suspected spam.
You can check on caught spam at a website. Interesting the only thing
they wrongly caught was an announcement from Jordan K. Hubbard. :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net