Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:49:20 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        dot@dotat.at, tlambert2@mindspring.com, bde@zeta.org.au, rodrigc@attbi.com, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem detecting POSIX symbolic constants

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 01:44:09PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> writes:
> : On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 01:20:03PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> : >
> : > #if _DEFINED_SUPPORTED  && defined(SOMETHING)
> :
> : That's a syntax error in pre-ANSI preprocessors (unless defined() is
> : #defined), which won't be bypassed by evaluation shortcutting since
> : evaluation happens after parsing.
>
> Actaully, it is only a syntax error on some really really really old
> cpp.  The sun cpp on SunOS 4.x, for example, wasn't ANSI, but did grok
> the above construct.

Yes, the C manual in -CURRENT which sates from 1986 documents defined().
I haven't found any versions of the manual between 1975 (h0h0 C) and
then, and I don't have a copy of K&R 1 :-/

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
FITZROY SOLE: SOUTH 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9, OCCASIONALLY STORM 10 IN FITZROY. RAIN