Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:48:47 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        glarkin@sourcehosting.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, 'ajay gopalakrishnan' <geek.dwells@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Are there any known issues for installing FreeBSD on Vmware	onwindows XP ?

On 03/02/07 12:22, Greg Larkin wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Are there any known issues for installing FreeBSD on Vmware
>> on windows XP ?
>> I have never tried installiing FreeBSD earlier and i just saw
>> a mail in this
>> mailing list regarding some problems while installing on
>> vmware. Could not
>> make out much. Can someone just elaborate on the issues faced while
>> installing on Vmware.
>>
>> Regards,
>> ajay.
>
> Hi Ajay,
>
> I wrote in to the list a little while back about VMware installation
> problems that I had with FreeBSD 6.2, but the issue was completely
> related to the CPU architecture (Via C3 Nehemiah) that I was using.
> VMware doesn't officially support that processor, even though it's
> supposed to be Intel compatible.  Another list member sent me a kernel
> patch that fixed the problem (thanks ghozzy).

The issue is not that the C3 is not x86 compatible, because it is
completely compatible.  The issue here is that vmware is allowing all
the CPU features to be advertised to the guest OS, when it does not in
fact emulate all those features.  The C3 CPU has additional features
that Intel processors do not have, like the RNG and AES encryption.
Either the guest OS needs to know not to use them, or vmware needs to be
smarter and emulate that feature.

Eric