Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:00:18 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Walter Jansen" <walter.jansen@inter.nl.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: redundancy in domain or hostname ?

At 06:36 PM 1/26/2008, Walter Jansen wrote:
>The router connected to my server reports DNS inquiries like
>"myserver.example.com.example.com" which obviously leads nowhere
>

>The server is in a SOHO situation connected to a router which is connected
>to DSL; the server runs 6.3 Release and will serve as mailserver for the few
>in-house employees  and as a webserver. The domain "example.com" is
>registered with Dyndns.org who also run the "Custom DNS service".  The DNS
>entries were checked with Dyndns.org staff and found in accordance with the
>purpose.
>
>During installation  of the server, the hostname "myserver.example.com" and
>the domain name "example.com" were entered in the appropiate Sysinstall
>dialog
>
>.
>
>/etc/hosts shows:
>

>::1                     localhost.example.com localhost
>
>127.0.0.1               localhost.example.com localhost
>
>192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com myserver
>
>192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com.
>

>192.168.1.13 is allocated to the server by the DHCP of the router; this IP
>address is fixed though!!
>

>Table /etc/resolv.com reads:
>

>domain  example.com
>
>nameserver      192.168.1.1  (my router's IP address
>

>I postponed installation of Postfix and Apache as I feel that host- and
>domainname should be configured correctly to prevent accumulating trouble.
>

>Remarks a most appreciated.

The extra entries in /etc/hosts are for both IP6 and IP4 the hostname entry
with the trailing dot: myserver.example.com. denotes it as a fully
qualified domain name, FQDN.

If hostname shows the correct hostname with one domain, the problem is else
ware.  If it is else ware, I suspect your router is adding the example.com
to every lookup.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.