Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:17:21 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Sijmen J. Mulder" <ik@sjmulder.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should I use mdoc for user programs?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:02:49 +0200, Sijmen J. Mulder wrote:
> Is it considered bad form to use mdoc, rather than some other man
> format, for documenting non-system programs?

No, many programs from the ports collection provide a manpage
in the standard format (for example "man opera" which is far
from being a system program).

> I noticed that the required .Os macro (man 7 mdoc) outputs "FreeBSD
> General Commands Manual" which does not seem appropriate.

If I remember correctly, you can easily redefine them:

.Dd <date>
.Os <OS>

This will generate the following layout:

... your manual page text here ...

<OS>                             <date>                             <OS>

If you simply use .Os, the page title will be derived from the
2nd parameter to .Dt, i. e., the section number.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany