Date:      Sat, 08 May 2010 13:27:04 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        eugen@grosbein.pp.ru, freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org, sem@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/132483: rc.subr(8) [patch] setfib(1) support for rc.subr

On 05/07/10 11:44, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <4BE44D4E.1080308@FreeBSD.org>
>             Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> : > The following reply was made to PR conf/132483; it has been noted by
> : > GNATS.
> : > From: Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
> : > To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
> : > Cc: sem@freebsd.org
> : > Subject: Re: conf/132483: rc.subr(8) [patch] setfib(1) support for
> : > rc.subr
> : > Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 00:08:20 +0700
> : >  I've tested second patch (setfib_for_rc.subr.diff), it works.
> : >   Vote for commit. Without this, there is no way to bind
> : >  a network service running from rcNG-based startup script
> : >  to a non-default FIB.
> : >   The only alternative is ugly way to use /etc/rc.local with
> : >  "setfib N ... forcestart" command that ignores dependencies.
> : >   Please commit.
> : >
> :
> : Unfortunately setfib(1) is in /usr/sbin "which is not guaranteed to be
> : accessible at boot time, especially not before the network is up." (c)
> : dougb@
> :
> : So, this patch has a little chance to be committed.
>
> Do we still support boot environments where this is actually true?[*]
> /usr/* isn't available before mountcrit.

Yes, diskless boot.

> Given the amount of
> sed and awk in use, I think this is likely safe.

As a general rule such things are discouraged, but if the service you're
trying to launch already relies on something in /usr[/local] then it's
not a problem.

For instance, given that setfib(8) is in /usr/sbin then relying on
jot(1) (which is in /usr/bin) isn't a show-stopper, although I would
have avoided using it on principle, but that's just me. :)

Please note, I have no opinion either way on the "setfib in rc.d" idea,
and if those who have actual knowledge of the value of the proposal are
in favor, I'm not opposed to seeing it committed.

hth,

Doug