Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:54:59 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem moving gmirror between two machines.

I have an HP DL360 with a pair of 1TB seagate disks that's been
running -STABLE with a ZFS root partition set up using the tools
available here:

  http://yds.coolrat.org/zfsboot.shtml

It's been working great.  As part of trying to understand what's going
on, I csup'ed to -RELENG earlier today and rebuilt/installed the
kernel and world whilst running on the DL360, so everything should be
current.

I tried to move the disks into an HP DL320 G4 and it fails to boot
because it can't find /dev/mirror/boot (which it wants to mount onto
/strap and then parts get nullfs'ed onto /boot and /rescue).  It gives
me the opportunity to start a shell, and from that shell I can do a
zfs mount -a and get all of the zfs filesystems mounted, but there's
nothing in /dev/mirror.  No gmirror status and list are silent.

I can move the disks back into the older machine and they work fine.

I've run fdisk -s ad4 and bsdlabel -A /dev/ad4s1a and diffed the
output from the two machines and they're identical.

I've booted with kern.geom.mirror.debug=2 and the DL320G4 tastes
/dev/ad4s1a (along with everything else) but doesn't do anything with
it.

Any ideas?

g.