Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 3:29:27 -0700
From:      David Southwell <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Upgrading a system to amd64

Hi

I have a freebsd Generic System 6.0-RELEASE #0 compiled Thursday Nov 3 2005 originally on an Abit VA-20 motherboard equipped with an AMD sempron cpu in its 462 socket.

The Abit motherboard died due to a chip failure and I did not feel like taking a risk using of the same thing happening again.

I purchased a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 and installed an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor in the socket 939 and transferred the hardware to it.

Apart from not yet getting X-windows to work I am pleased to report that system seems to be functioning well.(I have not yet worked out how to change the X config to support the nVIDIA GeForce 6100 chipset).

I now want to upgrade the system to FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-AMD64 and downloaded the appropriate iso images onto cd.

Wopuld anyone care to offer some advice on the best way to proceed bearing in mind it is a very long time since I last upgraded in this way.

Thanks

David