Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:48:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        melvin@zytek.com (Stephen Melvin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: How to use Frame Relay line with FreeBSD

			Hi there,

> Greetings,
>
> I'm setting up a system using FreeBSD and a 56K frame relay line to the rest
> of the world.  This is a small IPP where most of the traffic will be between
> the FreeBSD box and the Internet, but there will eventually be other local
> machines as terminals.  I'd like to minimize cost and retain the flexibility
> that we all know and love (I've been using FreeBSD in two different modem
> based installations for almost a year).  Here are what I consider the options
> given my admittedly limited understanding of the situation:

	The thing is that Frame Relay imposes extra encapsulation on
	IP/whatever traffic , so you have to get the device which will be
	able to deal with it.
	DSU's themselves can't handle it and I'm not sure if there are
	the serial drivers with this functionality ( line discipline ? ).

	Futhermore there should be a way for you to tell to the whatever
	device you'll use the DLCI <----> IP addrs. configuration.

	Anyway, I'd rather go for some stripped version of Livingston
	or CISCO 2500 - with single serial port and ethernet.
	Should be somewhere in $2K range.

	Rashid