Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:49:43 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Werner Tenge' <TengeW@vertis.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: cd *.iso

> Currently I am downloading the latest FreeBSD version. I was
> wondering how I
> turn this giant *.iso file into a CD. Simply copying the file
> and burn it on
> a CD seems inapplicable, but hey, what do I know?
> Please tell me what to do/ where to find the tool/ which
> commands to use to
> magically transform the 2.4-install.iso file into a genuine
> FreeBSD install
> CD?? (I know, I know: not the bootable, but the other one)...

i suppose you mean 4.2-install.iso ..

the "ISO" file is an image of the real cd - and that image
contain all the stuff (directories, files and other info)
needed to make an (bootable!) cd.

in order to write it correctly, you need an program that
can handle the ISO images.  if you are under windoze,
you may want to take a look at adaptec's easy cd (also
with other software you may have similar results).

if you are under a *nix machine, you can use cdrecord
(if you have an SCSI cd-writer) or burncd (i think - for
an IDE drives).

with cdrecord, you need to type something like:

# cdrecord dev=0,6,0 speed=2 [-dummy] path_to_iso_file

where:
dev=0,6,0 represent the drive's id (first digit represent
  the scsi controler - 0 by default; second one represent
  the drive id - you need to modify this, see dmesg where
  your drive is, and the last digit is the lun - keep it 0)
speed=2  is the speed used to write (0,2,4,8 ..)
-dummy   if this is set, the laser is turned off - used to
  test the machine's speed before to burn real cds.

you can get it from ports - see
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/sysutils.html
for more info, consult the man page

as about burncd, i don't have any idea, i didn't use it.
anyway, the man page should be clear.

i hope this is clear enough ..

also, after you downloaded the .iso, you can test it.
that is, if you are under a FreeBSD machine, you can
mount the iso file (read-only) as it where an regular
cd.  for this, as root, type something like:

# vnconfig -e /dev/vn0 path_to_iso_file
# mount_cd9660 /dev/vn0 /mnt

and you'll get all the iso's content mounted in /mnt
directory.

hope this helps.
good luck,

stefan