Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:42:18 -0600
From:      mneumann@molex.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Corrupted Kernel

Hello,
I have a question regarding the kernel.
I've made several changes late last night to my kernel, which I named FREEBIE as the
user guide suggested. Everything worked out fine until I added devices for my sound
card. I re-compiled the kernal with the sound devices and there were no errors. Next
I did Make Install then did a shutdown -r now. After that, the system would not boot.
Why would the kernel compile without errors but crash the system at boot-up? I tried
to boot with the kernel.old, but the same thing happened; the system locked-up. I
beleive that I got confused (it was very late) and overwrote the kernel.old with the
bad kernel file. I have a copy of the GENERIC kernel and would like to use it to boot
so that I may remove the sound card devices in the FREEBIE kernel. If possible, I'd
prefer that I not re-load FREEBSD (V4.2). Can you tell me what steps I need to take
to get the GENERIC kernel working again? Thank you ahead of time for your response.
Sincerely,
Mike Neumann