Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:25:07 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packages

Reading all of the comments about SSH, UUCP, and packages, brings to
mind what other operating systems do, namely RedHat, Solaris, and MVS,
just to name three, which is that everything from the kernel down to
the last utility is a package.  If, for example, if I would not need
games or C or <put something you don't use here>, then I wouldn't
install it.  We could even have a couple of kernel packages, for example
a kernel without BPF and one with it.

Of course this could only be used by those who wish to maintain FreeBSD
at a binary level, as those of us who use cvsup would have a
complicated mess to deal with.  However make world could use a
selected/installed package directory to only build and install the
desired or previously installed packages.  Of course this would break
any package version dependencies, so this would only work with -RELEASE.

Anyhow I'm beginning to ramble.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC