Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:22:03 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        ben@timing.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _REENTRANT in math.h & libm oddities.

In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.10301231601440.12720-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com> Daniel Eischen writes:
: The gcc manpage is wrong.  It should state _REENTRANT instead of
: _THREAD_SAFE.  POSIX specifies that _REENTRANT be defined to get
: these functions.  I know that we always provide implementations
: of most of these _r functions so it might not make sense to
: #ifdef them in the header files, but I don't know that always
: making them visible would be against the spec or cause namespace
: pollution.

Then FreeBSD's source tree is basically wrong, since it uses
_THREAD_SAFE for this in many places.  But most of them appear to be
just defining the macro for compiles and such.  There's a little bit
in libc's stdio still, but that's the only significant place that uses
it in the tree.  I'm not sure about out-of-tree software.

Warner