Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/33582: i386 Release notes make no mention of AMD/Cyrix Processor support

The following reply was made to PR docs/33582; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc: bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:43:57 -0800

 If memory serves me right, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:
 > All AMD i386-compatible processors are also supported, from the Am486 and
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > Am5x86 up through the K5, K6, Athlon, and Duron processors.

 Good point, thanks.

 > We probably need to put something in there on the status of the 64 bit port -
 > perhaps a pointer to http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ia64.html but that page
 > is pretty old too.

 The ia64 port will have its own hardware list (and its own, totally
 separate, version of this section).  In -CURRENT, the infrastructure is
 already set up, although it's not connected to the release documentation
 build and the processor-specific paragraphs aren't written yet.  Since I
 wouldn't know an ia64 machine if it bit me on the nose, I'm the wrong
 person to try to write this part.  Once the port gets more mature, I'll
 get some of the freebsd-ia64 crowd to help with this.

 The powerpc and sparc64 hardware documents aren't set up at all, BTW,
 but I could do this pretty quickly if someone from those camps wanted
 to work on them.

 Thanks for the feedback!

 Bruce.