Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 16:10:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hawke@hawkewerks.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > Unfortunately, the Motorola Bitsurfer is a festering piece-o-shit(tm)
> > and you'd do very well to stay away from it or anything else from
> > Motorola's communications products division.  Cisco has also been
> > doing quite a bit of testing with their stuff, and the unanimous
> > decision seems to be "buy a modem or TA from Moto and you will lose."
>
> That's not quite fair.  I have no opinion on the ISDN stuff, having never
> used it, but the Motorola Power modems are pretty good.  Now, if you want
> to sling mud at modems, probably nothing is more deserving of the
> "piece-o-shit" label than the USR's Sportster line.

The Sportster 14.4 FAXmodem (I believe) is theonly one affected, and
it's only a problem if you talk to Rockwell chipset modems on the
other end.

US Robotics has a fix (firmware) for it anyway.  The Motorola modem
problems don't all have easy fixes.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a big fan of Motorola, normally, but the
Bitsurfer is known to be a problem in all its incarnations so far;
the Sportster, on the other hand, is a problem in a single incarnation,
and has a fix available... it's no worse than some Seagate and Connor
SCSI drives and tagged command queueing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.