Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:31:17 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        debnar@zoznam.sk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Proliant 2500

> I would just like to ask, if anyone has tried to run FreeBSD current on
> Compaq Proliant 2500 series.

I have 2.2.7-19980914-SNAP up & running on a Proliant 3000. Extremely
stable and fast.

> Are drivers available for Compaq Netelignet 10/100 NIC's and for its SCSI
> controller ?

No driver for the Thunderlan Ethernet controller on the 2.2.7 boot disks
when I installed this - I ended up using an Intel NIC for the installation.
Once installed you can make a kernel with the tl driver. However, checking
the HARDWARE.TXT from a recent (2.2.7-19981103-SNAP) 2.2.7 SNAP, the tl
driver seems to be included on the installation disks now.

The SCSI controller on the 3000 is NCR/Symbios 53c876 based - it appears as
two 53c875 controllers. Supported by the ncr driver.

I had trouble installing a prerelase of 3.0 on this system - no PCI Ethernet
card or SCSI controller was detected. I'm going to make another attempt at
3.0 in a few days.

Not sure about the details for the 2500 though.