Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:29:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Oliver Blasnik <oliver.blasnik@de.tiscali.com>
Cc:        beemern <beemern@ksu.edu>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel SE7500CW2 narrowed down...

Oliver Blasnik wrote:
> > Lanny Baron wrote:
> > i love fbsd, but i need *results* even more, and if that means i gotta
> > use linux so that i can make this system work and perform as needed,
> > well, my affections must give way to prudence
>
> I fully agree to Nathan, I had the same problem and the same solution:
> use another OS. I really can't spend that much time to deploy which
> server board / manufacturer FreeBSD likes and which not. SMP is a thing
> that doesn't work atm, so I don't use FreeBSD for SMP anymore 'till
> it gets stable and compatible again. I sometimes can't believe that
> all the boards at least work _somehow_ with other operating systems,
> but not with FreeBSD. Even went back using sparc/solaris again...
>
> My personal conclusion: SMP is for non-productional environment only,
> as every cvsup/upgrade/hardware change possibly breaks the whole system.

This is really unfair.  The problem is that the board is not
compliant with the Intel MP Spec. 1.4, with regard to APIC I/O.

The workaround is to not use APIC I/O, which you can't do in
SMP in FreeBSD, and which you can do in SMP in other OS's, but
shouldn't do.

If you look at the interrupt routing code differences between
FreeBSD and Linux, you will find where they differ.  FreeBSD
interrupt routing follows Giant.

An alternative is to correct the SMP Table information, and
reflash your BIOS with a hacked version, rather than one from
Intel.  But that's a lot of work you have to do on your own.

-- Terry