Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 17:16:24 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   telnet, but takes 1O's of seconds

Here's our simple config:

somehost WinNT
if:a.b.c.210

network a.b.c.0

if:a.b.c.214
mainrouter FreeBSD
if:d.e.f.254

d.e.f.0

if:d.e.f.253
accessserver FreeBSD

where the two nets are ethernet. Everybody pings away at less than a
millisecond, no pb's.

somehost can telnet into mainrouter fine.

somehost and mainrouter can telnet into accesserver just fine, but after
the initial telnet connect handshake, it takes maybe 30 - 60 seconds before
we get a login prompt from accessserver.

accesserver has no pb's telnetting into mainrouter, but also with same 30
-60 delay.

routes appear to be cool, as ping shows, and somehost's "ping -r d.e.f.253"
command shows.

FreeBSD's are 3.1-R, almost out of the box except for a couple of mods to
rc.conf.

Where do we start to look for cause of  the 30 - 60 second delay??

thanks,
Len