Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:18:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        mi@video-collage.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, toasty@home.dragondata.com
Subject:   Re: NFS discovery

> > NFS hung ups are a strange topic, in my experience. People agree
> > that they are "bad", but one is not supposed to complain about
> > them...
>
> I remember having a long conversation with a friend a few years back (can I
> get any more vague?) - Where he was praising NFS's ability to crash - as it
> assures that say your running a program on a remote system, it will either
> run to completion - or hang if the server dies...
> This I presume works on the assumption that it helps somehow to have a
> client that's 'hung' in mid-air (i.e. at least you know if failed) rather
> than risking any corruption that might have been caused by the server
> disappearing for a while...

The program is supposed to hang only until the server comes back up.

The problem is the use of TCP, and that the RPC call is not retried
after a request ack before a request completion.

This is exactly analogous to the FIN_WAIT_2 problem:

	-->	request
	<--	response 1
	<--	response 2 (this one never comes)

					Terry Lambert