Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:11:12 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ECC memory error reporting

On Saturday 15 February 2003 15:11, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:53:54PM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:

> > > Alternatively find a surplus hospital Cobalt-60 radiation therapy
> > > unit. That should give you nice random soft errors on the memory
> >
> > Or take the machine to Moab for the weekend, that's where a lot of
> > the Cobalt-60 comes from.  It's a lovely place, and you come back
> > with a nice tan whether the sun shines or not.
>
> Moab.. that reminds me of funny colored heaps of debris, with a fence
> that had yellow warning signs on them. Could not read that from the road,
> so stopped and use the telephoto lens to take a closer look. Basically
> said something like "radioactive waste, don't stop, keep driving'.
> Which I did..
>
> That the place you mean?

Yeah.  Most of the radiological materials used in the USA during
the nuclear boom of the 40s and 50s were dug out of the ground
within a 200 mile radius of Moab.  The rock buttes around there
are dotted with old uranium mines, also rich in Cs 137 and Sr 90.

The Bureau of Land Management (aka the Bureau of Livestock and
Mining) has slowly been cementing over the entrances of the mines
for years.  People go in there and wander around, not realizing
they're getting a lifetime of radiation in a 2-hour visit and
inhaling concentrations of Radon that make doctors shudder in
horror.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com