Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:59:35 -0400
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manual updates

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> As a newb to FreeBSD I find that the manual/handbook is not great in
>> detail,
>> (understatement), and I seem to be relying on this questions list for
>> a lot
>> of help.
>
> what's missing? i think it's quite detailed

I started with Linux years ago. I tried several versions and only
Slackware was useable, and only because the lists were such great help.
There was of course the RH books, not any better than Slackware
Unleashed or the FreeBSD Handbook.

In frustration I tried FreeBSD and got it up and running all by myself
using the book, I was impressed. Once I found SeaFug I really got
rolling. Overall I think the FreeBSD Handbook is one of the best. It
doesn't have as much detail as it could, but it takes time and people to
create such things.

If FreeBSD is lacking in documentation it is not the book, it is because
Linux has the enormous "How To" library available to new users. Funny
thing though, I used most of the Linux How To docs when first learning
FreeBSD. As far as applications and services go like Samba, NIS, NFS,
etc. Most of the Linux How To docs work with FreeBSD.

DAve

Veterans?