Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:45:53 -0800
From:      "Ravi Murty" <ravi.murty@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   local APIC 2 interrupt fifo limit

Hello,

There is this comment in apicvar.h in the amd64 tree that talks about why
the kernel uses smp_ipi_mtx and how it prevents more than 2 outstanding IPIs
per interrupt vector. It appears that modern CPUs collapse the IRR bit if
there is an interrupt when both the IRR and ISR bits are set. I was
wondering why we need smp_ipi_mtx besides the fact that the kernel uses
global variables for things like invalidate page ranges.

Thanks,
Ravi