Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:14:59 -0400
From:      John Woodruff <jjw@us.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sn (SMC9000 Ether) Driver for -STABLE?

Does anyone have an etherdriver for the SMC9000 working for 2.2.x?

I grabbed an if_sn.c (from the SMC web site, I think) that claimed
to be for 2.1 (or was it 2.0??), saying:
 *   $Id: if_sn.c,v 1.5 1996/10/30 13:22:50 gardner Exp $
 * This FreeBSD driver is derived from the smc9194 Linux driver by
 * Erik Stahlman and is Copyright (C) 1996 by Erik Stahlman.
 * This driver also shamelessly borrows from the FreeBSD ep driver
 * which is Copyright (C) 1994 Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>

but the changes to 2.2.x proved more than my application-level C
debugging skills can find.  After some datatype changes (I looked
closely at if_ep), it compiles, links, probes, and attaches fine:
  FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE ....
  sn0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa
  sn0: SMC91C90/91C92 UTP MAC address 00:c0:4f:de:7a:08
  ep0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with sn0 at 0x300

but the ifconfig panics. It looks like snioctl(,SIOCSIFADDR,) or
below smashed the stack, since it dies on the return from snioctl().
Other core damage might exist; but the box can come up multi-user
with no trouble. Just dont touch sn0.

What's worse, is the SMC9000 is on the docking station for an old
24M RAM 486 laptop, and for other reasons (don't ask) it's only got
a 76M BSD partition; not even enough swap for a dump.  I made a
debugging kernel with mem limited to 8M, but cant get the dump off
the box!  This is the *only* LAN link it has here (another docking
station, in another office, has the ep0, which works 100% OK; but
only one dock at a time, of course).

If someone has a working if_sn for 2.2.5, I'd be quite grateful.
Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to learn to use serial gdb
linked to the fully-functional 2.2.5 modern machine next to it.
--
John Woodruff, Sr. Network Engineer, US Net - 301-361-USNET
Washington/Baltimore/Richmond ISP - $6.95/month for full PPP!