Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:18:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        se@freebsd.org
Cc:        anrays@gmail.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, glewis@eyesbeyond.com, lists_freebsd_org@07.antispam.web-wahnsinn.de, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gcc bugs break java/jdk15 build? [Workaround]

In message: <20070819073953.GA36594@Gatekeeper.FreeBSD.org>
            Stefan E=DFer <se@freebsd.org> writes:
: On 2007-08-19 12:01 +0900, Ken Yamada <ken@tydfam.jp> wrote:
: >   Does this mean that GCC 4.2.1 does not solve "loop optimization b=
ug" =

: >   pointed out by Andrey Chernov (http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg=
.cgi?fetch=3D282888+0+archive/2007/freebsd-current/20070701.freebsd-cur=
rent) on 4.2.0?
: >   =

: >   Is it a good idea of adding -fno-tree-vrp to CFLAGS in /etc/make.=
conf =

: >   to avoid this optimization bug for all compilation?  (BTW, I leav=
e -O3 =

: >   of CFLAGS as is in make.conf and just added -fno-tree-vrp to the =
end of =

: >   the line.)
: =

: I did just that (added -fno-tree-vrp to CFLAGS) after it was found
: that gcc-4.2 had the optimizer bug, and have continued to build my
: system with -O2 (or other optimization levels as required). This =

: seems to work just fine (no problems with ports that are not working
: when built with a plain -O2). I had suggested to make -fno-tree-vrp
: the default for our CC (could be overridden on the command line, but
: would allow to use all -O levels without being hit by the compiler
: bug; but it appears that nobody else liked the idea at that time, =

: i.e. no response at all ...).

Actually, it was added to the tree and then backed out because it
broke the upgrade path.

Warner