Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:47:58 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 02:46:12PM -0600, Glenn Johnson stood up and spoke:
> As far as I can tell though if I set the memory clock to
> 100MHz the problem goes away completely, or at least I have not observed
> it happen yet.

So it's PC133 RAM but only works properly at 100 Mhz? Well, I guess I have
seen the same problem: I once had a system with a front side bus of 100
Mhz, and I could set the RAM clock to either "host clock" or "host click +
33 Mhz". Now, I choose the second method, because according to my
calculation, a host clock of 100 Mhz plus an additional 33 Mhz are 133 Mhz,
and thus just what my PC133 RAM wants. However, the system would run less
than reliable with this setting, so I later set the RAM clock to "host
clock", so 100 Mhz. I no longer own that system - I had these problems back
in June...

Anyway, for most memory problems, I have found the tool "memtest86"
(http://www.memtest86.com) to be a good test. While, as far as I have
heard, this utility does not detect *all* possible errors, it has often
been able to give me good insight of the stability of my RAM and overall
system.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany