Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:28:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      KAYVEN  RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible that modern wireless card only supports WPA and not WEP or this is a bug in the driver?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Sam Leffler wrote:

> Yuri wrote:
>> I have a Linksys PCI wireless card that is being attached by "ral" driver:
>> ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2561S> mem 0xcffe8000-0xcffeffff irq 17 at
>> device
>> 10.0 on pci0
>> ral0: MAC/BBP RT2561C, RF RT2527
>> ral0: Ethernet address: 00:18:f8:2e:40:25
>> ral0: [ITHREAD]
>>
>> But when I do 'ifconfig ral0 list caps' it returns:
>> ral0=2181e500<IBSS,HOSTAP,TXPMGT,SHSLOT,SHPREAMBLE,MONITOR,WPA1,WPA2,BGSCAN>
>> and WEP isn't there.
>>
>> This looks amazing since WEP is older and very widespread.

I am about to do a talk on WEP versus WPA for a course in internet
security.  I became acquainted with the protocols through a
60 minutes story.

http://tinyurl.com/2wucm3

WEP is not fully secure.  WPA or WPA2 is the improvement.  The
above story notes that American businesses are in arears with
respect to properly upgrading the wireless routers that they
use for financial processing.