Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:12:08 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        swim@avst.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD Installation

Chris Lopez wrote:

> Hi,
>         My name is Chris Lopez, first off I would like to ask what the
> difference is between versions 2.1.6 and the new 2.2 beta. But my main
> question is this. I am very new to LINUX/UNIX/etc. environments, and
> this is the only way for me to learn (I don't have UNIX stations readily
> available). I was wondering if I could get some help with the
> installation, preferrably without totally reformatting my hard drive. If
> you have the time, and wouldn't mind the bother, I would really like to
> get set up as soon as possible to see what all the hype is about!!!
>
>                                                 Thanks for your time
>                                                 Chris Lopez
>
>                                                 DIABLO@AVST.COM

Welcome aboard Chris.
The differences between 2.1.6 and 2.2 are many. To sum it up, 2.2 has
many new features and major new rewrites of old features, but 2.1.6 is
very stable and reliable. You can find the release notes for both on the
web site, but if you have no experience with UNIX you probably will not
care about most of those things, if they mean anything to you at all.

As for installation, you can either get a CD from WC (www.cdrom.com) or
install from the web. Look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

As you will see, under most configurations you do not have to reformat
your hard drive, but just create a new partition on it. This can either
be done with the free fips utility that comes with FreeBSD or with
PartitionMagic (commercial at http://www.partition.com).

After you read the guides on the web, you can pretty much do it
yourself. You can always post questions to this list if you have any.

Good luck,
Nadav