Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:14:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, Studded@dal.net, archie@whistle.com, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

> > > It means that there are two instances of 'msgvec' with global scope,
> > > and the other one needs to be found too.
> >
> > Most likely this is an ELF problem because of the "_" semantic change
> > on C symbols vs. asm symbols.
>
> Do you have any rationalisation for this, or is it just wild speculation
> on your part again?

I'm open to other suggestions about why a.out works but ELF doesn't,
but I'm *pretty* sure that that was the *only* namespace semantics
change, so, yeah, I'm pretty confident that a problem with symbol
name resolution is localizable to changes in symbol name resolution.

Call me crazy...

> > I'm still suspicious of the rationale for that change, but whatever...
>
> Huh?  Last I heard you were telling us we could just take the Solaris
> ELF Motif libraries and use those (yeah, right).  Now you think we
> shouldn't be even vaguely link-compatible with other ELF libraries?
>
> Geez, make up your mind already.

I'm not sure why ELF ewent the way it did.

I'm sure that in order to use Sun ELF libraries, you have to have ELF
object to link against them, in the same way that round holes require
round pegs (unless you are willing to get, uh, "inelegant"...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.