Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:38:22 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Report: the iso disk

Apparently, On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:28:02PM -0500,
	Steve Ames said words to the effect of;

> I have an ultra-5 with a 5c keyboard, standard VGA. The ISO CD-ROM
> seems to boot fine except I have no keyboard access when it completes.
>
> If I let it boot all the way to the login prompt, no keyboard. If I
> do a 'set boot_single' during the bootup sequence (the keyboard works
> fine at this point) and let it continue I lose the keyboard at
> 'Enter full pathname of shell....'.

I think this is because device sio is compiled into the kernel, which
Thomas uses for a serial console on his blade 100.  I'll try removing
it and plug in a sun kayboard at home, so far everyone that's tried it
has used a serial console  :)

If you can hook up a serial console, that should work.

> This machine does have an ata drive (ST39140A at ata2-master WDMA2... shows
> up as ad0).
>
> Any other data points I can provide? I'd also be interested if someone
> could provide a quick primer on netbooting my ultra5 so I don't need
> to wait for the next ISO :)

There's an install doc which hasn't been committed to the doc tree yet,
you can see the html here: http://people.freebsd.org/~tmm/install.html

Jake