Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:44:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: You Got To Love the New Kind of Spam 8)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Amancio Hasty wrote...
> >
> > SGI is releasing GLX 8)
> >
> > http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/990216/ca_silicon_2.html
> >
> > 	Have Fun,
> > 	Amancio
> >
> > P.S.: If companies start dumping large packages is going to weight us down :(
>
> Heh.  That's pretty cool.  Although I wouldn't say that GLX itself is
> exactly huge.
>
> What they've released is basically the X server side connecting glue that
> allows connecting up OpenGL to an X server.  Here's a snippet from the
> readme:
>
> =====
>     GLX is used to connect an X server and an OpenGL implementation. By
>     itself, the GLX distribution is incomplete. XFree86 (or other code based
>     on the X11R6 release) provides the X server.
> =====
>
> They aren't releasing, however, their OpenGL implementation.  Here's what
> they said about that:
>
> =====
>     Please do not deluge SGI with requests to make our SI available as open
>     source. We are fully aware of the issues involved.
> =====
>
> Apparantly Red Hat and some other company (Precision Insight) are working
> on getting Mesa to work with GLX.

I have met one of the principals at Precision Insight and have
corresponded with them about their GL work for XFree86.  They do seem to
be heading in the correct direction.  When they get closer to an
implementation, we will need to sort out a few kernel issues (they need
some low-level kernel support for virtualising the 3D hardware and
queuing DMA buffers for hardware where that is relavent).

If this works out, I might actually be able to release the software I'm
working on (a game and a game development system) on FreeBSD which would
be cool :-).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com