Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2014 10:52:57 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        Remy van Elst <relst@relst.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Handbook, upgrading ports incorrect with 10.0-RELEASE?

Hey Remy,

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Remy van Elst <relst@relst.nl> wrote:
>=20
> The handbook tells you that this command shows outdated ports (" Then, run=
 this command to get a listing of the ports which are older than the current=
ly available version:") and after that the handbook tells you to use either p=
ortmaster or portupgrade to actually upgrade them.
>=20
> I manage a few systems with only two or three extra ports installed, on th=
ose we (as in, me and my team) usually just upgrade those ports manually ins=
tead of with portmaster. I don't even know if portmaster is installed there.=

So you really want just to see the versions, and then you upgrade them by ha=
nd. In that case, the correct option would indeed be "pkg version".
> Then updating the handbook to include "the proper functions for upgrading"=
 would also be a good idea, instead of just changing this command.

Indeed. I'd guess that those portions of the handbook have been fixed alread=
y; the documentation is "staged" just like the code, meaning there's a "deve=
loper" version and a "release" version. The one you're looking at is going t=
o be the release version.

If you'd like to take a look at the current revision, here's the instruction=
s for doing so: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/=
working-copy.html

Unfortunately, you can't just browse it on the web like you can with the reg=
ular handbook, so you'll have to do a checkout of the source code. And, of c=
ourse, there's always the freebsd-doc@ mailing list to talk to the documenta=
tion guys directly.
--Matt