Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:59:42 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Jesse <way7ruin@bah2.themall.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUBNET?

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Jesse wrote:

> Sorry if this is off subject, but I was wondering if anyone had any
> comment on this.
>
> Our school is next door to a NASA facility. They have a T1 connection
> there. We asked them earlier if we could use there connection for a
> small internet server. They said yes. However, about a month later,
> once we are ready, they said that they cannot 'cuz anything going
> through their network  would be representitive of NASA? Is this
> possible?
> I though that they woulod assign us a subnet, and map it through
> directly to use. That way, say, our web server, would have a URL like
> http://www.homestudy.edu, not http://www.homestudy.nasa.gov like they
> apparently are thinking. Wouldn;t we go through the InterNIC for our
> addresses?
>
>                   Thanks!!!
>                       Jesse Brown

It's not as simple as it seems. While domain names can be assigned to any
IP addresses, any IP addresses on their net are still know to be
registered to NASA. Anyone looking at an IP address can find out who it
is registered to, and that's what really matters. Getting your own IP
addresses wouldn't do you much good either because you'd have to arrange
for the correct routing through NASA. In addition, NASA may have
firewalls, etc. and they probably wouldn't like an external net connected
inside those firewalls.

Bottom line: It is perfectly understandable for me that they refuse to
make such a connection. I may have done the same if I were in their position.

Nadav