Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 19:01:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM changes broke SYSVSHM?

John Birrell said:
> John S. Dyson wrote:
> > Do you have a copy of your tests that you could send to me?  The
> > more tools I have to fix the problems, the quicker they'll get solved.
>
> They're deep in application tests that require 11 custom libraries.
> None of this code is built with make - it uses a proprietry build
> utility that executes a test supervisor utility to automatically
> run (and re-run) tests and compare the results across architectures
> (not just Unix). Getting the tests to work outside that environment
> is a lot of work.
>
> If you are prepared to work on a branch, I (and others) can work
> against current for normal work. Then I'm happy to build the branch
> too and test things out that way. As it stands, I have to peg part
> of my kernel sources back a week or so in order to work on whiat
> I regard as normal stuff. I'd like a chance to learn about this
> stuff so that I can get on with the alpha port. This little pig wants
> to learn to sing. 8-)
>
> We need to be able to support -current, because for many people 2.2.X
> is too far in the past. 8-) But we need to avoid throwing marbles
> where bladers are skating.

I understand, except this IS NOT LEADING EDGE.  If we stop now, then
we will persist with a long standing problem.  Frankly, this problem
needs to be solved.  Hold off for another day at most.  I can reproduce
the bug, but it is not convienient.  It would be nice if someone could
reproduce the problem easily.  The more complicated this gets
for me, it will hit a threshold where it just wont get done.  This
is a mountain out of a molehill thing.  Current is a version of the
code, where those who us it in production need to extract their own
"pseudo-releases."

Give me a day, more distractions and dealing with emotional issues will
only cause me to not deal with anything...

BTW, the bug appears to be long-standing and only manifesting itself
recently.  This is of concern, and it needs to be fixed.  I have disabled
the split code, and the problem persists.