Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:01:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

On 19-Nov-00 Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 12:32:16PM -0500, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>> > So we're going to be stuck with MS style partitions on machines that only
>> > run
>> > FreeBSD? I don't like this idea.
>>
>> Can you tell why??  Just because it is "MS style partitions"??
>
> Using what I consider to be a artifact of another operating system on a
> machine
> that doesn't use that OS seems silly to me. Unless, of course, that artifact
> has
> some useful feature(s) or functionality. If it does, I'm all ears.
>
>> BTW, slices aren't "MS style partitions", but "PC BIOS style partitions".
>> As long as people insist on using Intel based computers, slices are
>> demanded.  Run FreeBSD on an Alpha if you don't like the idea of the PC
>> BIOS 4-slot partition table with boundaries on cylinders and MBR.
>
> I'm a little confused here. Why are slices demanded by the Intel
> arhictecture?
> We've been successfully using DD mode for years now, if slices are "demanded"
> what kind of voodoo have we been using?

They are demanded by the BIOS, not the CPU.  And we have been using seriously
ugly voodoo involving a fake, invalid slice table that relied on certain
equations to work out certain ways that violated the de facto standard for the
way slices are laid out.  As a result, some newer BIOS's choke on a DD disk.
This has been discussed to death in the archives, please go read the 10 prior
copies of this discussion there.  Thank you.  This thread should die.