Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:35:10 +0200
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scanner for 4.8

I'm currently using an Epson Perfection 1260 under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
(well, actually 4.9-RC right now).

Currently I wouldn't recommend using an Epson Perfection 1260:

Scans quite well, but can only be accessed if the scanner was
accessed from another operating system once and is not switched
off afterwards.

I used the 'Windows 98'-way and have been told that a Linux
Knoppix also works (for the necessary initial scan).

I use xscanimage without any problems.

xsane preview scan scans up to the physical limit(*) of the
scanner and decides to crash afterwards (both on end of preview scan
and if preview is cancelled) - normal scanning works, though.

Regards,
Holger Kipp

(*) including a grinding noise if the limit is reached.