Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:09:58 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 07:45:24PM +1300, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> %-> Anything above -O is not recommended.  I've had problems with
> %-> optimisation above -O under gcc on Intel (FreeBSD & Linux) ever since I
> %-> converted from IBM mainframe to UNIX (religious experience).
>
> Thanks Cy. Still, it beggars the question... "why not?". I've not had any
> problems with -O3 on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, and like I said, it worked under
> FreeBSD 3.3.
>
> -- Juha

First you don't have the same gcc version number in FreeBSD 3.3 and 4.1 and in
Linux. If you read Documentation/Changes in even the most recent Linux kernel
(4.0 Test 9) it is explicitly stated that old gcc is recommended over newer
ones, and that bugs occur with newer ones.
Second, i recommend you to write a program with a significative amount of
computations and compile it with all flags possible, -O -O2 -O3 -Os and
measure the execution time. You may be surprised. Last time i did that
-O was the faster!

--
Michel Talon