Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:56:33 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

Mike Galvez wrote:

>No small thing you need to consider when choosing Dell is that they DO NOT support
>FreeBSD. They support Windows and Red Hat Linux. If the machine is not lights-out
>and the OS is not one of the above, they will not send parts or a technician.
>
>I found this out the hard way and had to load Linux on a spare drive just to prove
>a piece of hardware was failing. They wasted a lot of my time. The cheaper cost of
>their hardware was easily outweighed by the wasted hours of my time.

Disclaimer: fingers crossed we have yet to have a hardware problem or
need Dell's support.  Also, my experience of their "technical support"
as a private purchaser of a laptop, was absolutely lousy.  My only
consolation was that their being so atrocious cost them more money than
they could possibly have made on the laptop.  I have been told that they
are better for business class customers but have no proof.

The 2850 servers we purchased came with Dell diagnostics on slice 1 -
running Windows 95 I think!  It would seem especially prudent when
running a non-supported OS in any production environment to keep those
diagnostics intact.  BSD will happily install on slices 2-4 and auto
boot from whichever you last booted from, so the diags can stay
invisible until you need them.

--Alex