Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 1995 09:12:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        melvin@zytek.com (Stephen Melvin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use Frame Relay line with FreeBSD

Stephen Melvin writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm setting up a system using FreeBSD and a 56K frame relay line to the rest
> of the world.  This is a small IPP where most of the traffic will be between
> the FreeBSD box and the Internet, but there will eventually be other local
> machines as terminals.  I'd like to minimize cost and retain the flexibility
> that we all know and love (I've been using FreeBSD in two different modem
> based installations for almost a year).  Here are what I consider the options
> given my admittedly limited understanding of the situation:
>

> Option A:
>
>      -----------     serial port      -----------   10bT
> >---|  CSU/DSU  |--------------------|  FreeBSD  |--------->
>      -----------     frame relay      -----------    IP
>         $200

Emerging Technologes has a sync serial card and drivers for FreeBSD
that will support Frame Relay.  I am considering building a 4 port
T1 router using them.  Mail to dennis@et.htp.com for more info.

The Compatible Systems MicroRouter 900i is an inexpensive router,
$1K list, that handles Frame Relay just fine. It will only go to
128Kb though. http://www.compatible.com for more info.

John Capo
IRBS Engineering