Date:      05 Nov 2000 20:48:35 +0200
From:      Pilli <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>
Cc:        Pilli <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail.local permissions

Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net> writes:

> reissell> Just cvsup'ed to 4.2-BETA and sendmail's local mailer refused to
> reissell> play ball. After a little hair-pulling I noticed the permissions
> reissell> of /usr/libexec/mail.local lacked the setuid bit. Mail.local
> reissell> would return an error (75 if I recall) everytime it was called
> reissell> because it didn't have permissions to write to
> reissell> /var/mail/so-and-so.
>
> Please read the release notes when upgrading:
>
>   mail.local(8) is no longer installed as a set-user-id binary.  If you
>   are using a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf from the default sendmail.cf
>   included with FreeBSD any time after 3.1.0, you are fine.  If you are
>   using a hand-configured sendmail.cf and mail.local for delivery, check
>   to make sure the F=S flag is set on the Mlocal line.  Those with .mc
>   files who need to add the flag can do so by adding the following line
>   to their your .mc file and regenerating the sendmail.cf file:
>   MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')dnl
>   Note that FEATURE(`local_lmtp') already does this.

Ok, thanks. But would you believe, I *did* read the release
notes I'm aware of: /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/RELEASE_NOTES. The above
snippet isn't in that file. I found it in the URL Warner Losh
provided, but haven't been able to locate it in the /usr/src hierachy.
Am I missing something really really obvious?

jussi